The Director of Student Activities at Columbia College will provide visionary leadership and managerial direction for an office that coordinates student activities programming, leadership development programs, and student organization services. The office also works closely with the Dean of Students Office in planning and implementing new student orientation programs. The Director will report to the Director of Multicultural Affairs & Community Resources/Assistant Dean of Students and will work collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff in envisioning a dynamic campus life program that actively engages all students.The student activities program will complement the College’s academic program and enhance the overall educational experiences of students through social, intellectual, cultural, diversity, recreational and wellness, and campus traditional programs. The Director will serve as a leader in fostering a vibrant residential Women’s College characterized by a diverse and engaged learning community. He or she will be a visible and active member of the campus community and will serve as an expert on student development and learning outside of the classroom.
- Hire, train, and supervise the Administrative Assistant & Data Coordinator in conjunction with the Director of Residence Life & Housing, the Graduate Assistant for Student Activities Programs & Campus Engagement, the Graduate Assistant for Orientation and Student Organization Leadership Development, an undergraduate Student Activities Events Coordinator, an undergraduate Student Activities Advertising & Marketing Coordinator, and undergraduate student assistants.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for a goal-oriented campus activities program that emphasizes student involvement, learning, and leadership development.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive assessment plan to collect quantitative and qualitative data on student interests, involvement, satisfaction, learning, and retention.
- Provide collaborative leadership in developing and implementing a plan for a comprehensive calendar of student activities programs, with an emphasis on weekend and evening programs.
- Provide leadership and support for the planning, implementation, and assessment of the orientation program, including the selection and training of Orientation Leaders and the planning and implementation of the Summer and Fall Orientation schedule.
- Advise the Columbia College Activities Board (CCAB), along with the Graduate Assistant for Student Activities Programs & Campus Engagement.
- Seek to actively involve commuter students in campus life and to effectively meet their needs so they can achieve their academic, personal, and leadership goals.
- Promote school spirit and support other departmental and student organization programs on campus.
- Provide general leadership and support for the officers and advisors of 50+ student organizations; including oversight of student organization resources including meeting space, mailboxes, computers, supplies, organization forms, and leadership development programs to enhance the effectiveness of all student organizations.
- Guide students interested in forming new clubs and organizations and approve organizing documentation.
- Maintain student organization officer and advisor rosters and list-servs and foster consistent communication with officers and advisors.
- Coordinate the annual Student Organization Officer Training, Women’s Leadership Symposium, and monthly Student Training And Rewards System (STARS) workshops.
- Review existing student activity/organization-related policies and procedures and create new policies as needed.
- Actively seek parent, family, and alumnae involvement in traditional events, including Family & Friends Weekend, Ludy Bowl, Mom’s Day, Dad’s Night, and the Junior Ring Ceremony.
- Collaborate with the Office of Campus Scheduling and other departments for the management of the vendor and student organization tables in the Student Union Dining Hall.
- Collaborate with students, faculty, and staff in the planning and implementation of activities.
- Serve on various campus committees including.
- Serve as part of a weekend “on-call” rotation during each semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a master’s degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration or related field and at least 2 years of full-time professional experience in a college or university setting, preferably in a Student Activities or Campus Life office. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in program planning related to student activities, new student orientation, and leadership development.
We seek a candidate who will provide enthusiastic leadership to a well-established Office of Student Activities, who can create a vision for further development of the services and programs, while engaging actively as part of the Student Affairs team and our vibrant campus community. The candidate should have a strong interest in women’s development, learning, and leadership and a proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations of students. Salary is commensurate with experience. Some nights and weekends are required for this position.
Columbia College is a private, Methodist-affiliated liberal arts college for women, with a co-educational evening and graduate school. Within our women’s college and co-educational evening and graduate programs, we have a diverse student population of 1500 students, who closely reflect the demographics of South Carolina. We believe that our enviable diversity enriches the learning experience for all students, and we are committed to increasing the racial diversity of our staff. The College is consistently ranked among the top regional liberal arts colleges in the South, and we were recently recognized as a 2016 Best Value Institution by U.S. News and World Report. The College is located in the diverse Eau Claire neighborhood of Columbia, South Carolina, a mid-sized city, which is small enough to be easily navigable, and large enough to offer attractive social and cultural opportunities. Interested candidates can find further information about the city and Columbia College at http://www.columbiasc.edu.
If interested in applying for this position, submit a resumé with cover letter, the names and contact information for three professional references, and the College Application, which can be found at http://columbiasc.edu/about/employment. Send all materials to:
Melissia Brannen, Search Committee Chair
1301 Columbia College Drive, Columbia, SC 29203
All application materials may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com with subject header “Director of Student Activities – Job Application”
Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is identified. Start date is flexible, but preferably September 5, 2017.