A Bachelor of Arts Degree in Disaster and Emergency Management opens doors to high-demand careers that matter. Equip yourself for an exciting career in fields including homeland security, disaster recovery, and crisis management.
Thank you for your interest in the B. A. in Disaster and Emergency Management online degree program at Columbia College. Earning your degree online gives you the flexibility to work full time and fulfill your other obligations because you can do your class work when it is convenient for you.
WHY EARN A B. A. IN DISASTER AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT?
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN DISASTER AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENTThe Bachelor of Arts Degree in Disaster and Emergency Management is designed to help students develop skills in management, planning, and communication and a knowledge base in Disaster and Emergency Management and homeland security. A graduate with this degree will be protecting communities by coordinating preparedness, response and recovery activities to enable resiliency when disaster strikes. The program provides a conceptual and applied approach to ensure that you are fully knowledgeable in the principles and practices of Disaster and Emergency Management and homeland security. The women and men earning this degree will know how to lead their organizations and communities to strengthen services and reduce vulnerability to disasters.
There are many interesting career opportunities in both the public and private sector for disaster and emergency managers.
You can build a career with government agencies, businesses, or non-governmental organizations active in disasters. Graduates with a degree in Disaster and Emergency Management gain skills in communications, problem solving, decision-making, research and interviewing, computer literacy, and critical thinking. Our students typically bring strong ethical and moral values to the table – by completing the program, these values are reinforced with scholarly endeavor. Graduates can find positions in organizations such as:
- International Association of Emergency Managers http://www.iaem.com/
- National Emergency Management Association http://www.nemaweb.org
- Business continuity planning
- Insurance companies
- Major corporations
- Utility companies
- Colleges and Universities
- Local school districts
- City and county emergency management offices
- Department of Public Safety http://www.scdps.gov/ohr/
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency http://www.fema.gov/careers
- National Guard http://www.nationalguard.mil/
- SC Job Listings
- State and local public health departments
- State emergency management agencies
- US Department of Health and Human Services http://www.hhs.gov/careers/
- The US Department of Homeland Security http://www.dhs.gov/careers