Student Success Leaders (SSLs) are peer mentors that work one-on-one with students, aiding in their overall academic, social and professional success.
Their main responsibilities are as follows:
- Help mentees to establish positive, personal relationships with their peers, instructors, as well as other community professionals.
- Help mentees to obtain/maintain short and long term academic goal as well as to obtain effective life skills.
- Assist mentees in accessing academic and college resources.
- Assist students in developing appropriate interpersonal, study, and goal setting skills.
- Enhance mentee's ability to interact comfortably and productively with people/groups from diverse racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
What do Success Leaders Do?
Student Success Leaders are trained to assist their peers in the following areas:
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Conflict Management Skills
- Decision Making/Problem Solving
-Academic Excellence Skills
- Goal Setting Skills (S.M.A.R.T Goals) Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely
- Time Management
- Effective study skills based on learning styles and study techniques that promote effective test preparation, developing different types of study guides, and mastering lectures.
-Using Campus Resources